Your Weekly Constitutional", I found out that on this date in 1787, our founding fathers came together to sign the Constitution of the United States. I felt it best to dress up in character again to talk about this very important day. Please, call me Alexandra Hamilton.
interesting facts about our U.S. Constitution. Here are just a few things I discovered when doing research. They make for some really cool quiz questions...
1. A handful of Constitution signers also signed the Declaration of Independence a decade before: these gentlemen include: George Read, Roger Sherman, Benjamin Franklin, Robert Morris, George Clymer, and James Wilson.
2. The signers of the Constitution came from varying backgrounds. There were doctors, lawyers, ministers, plantation owners and merchants. I wonder how many of them had dogs?
3. Thomas Jefferson did not sign the Constitution. He was in France during the Constitutional Convention, where he served as the U.S. minister. John Adams was serving as the U.S. minister to Great Britain during the Constitutional Convention and did not attend either.
4. Of the forty-two delegates who attended most of the meetings, thirty-nine actually signed the Constitution. Edmund Randolph and George Mason of Virginia and Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts refused to sign due in part due to the lack of a bill of rights. The Bill of Rights came later on.
5. Some of the more famous signers of the Constitution include George Washington (the only Virginia representative who signed), Alexander Hamilton, Benjamin Franklin and James Madison Jr.