Sunday, February 14, 2016
1. Help Out Around the House
I think it's important to help with basic chores whenever possible. There's lots of little things that a dog can do around the house to be useful and help make it a little easier for Mom or Dad.
For example, pre-washing the dishes makes it easier for a quick soap and water wash of plates and spoons.
Something else you could do around the house is to pick up your toys after playing with them and put them away to help prevent tripping. I like to pile all mine up in the middle of the kitchen so they aren't in the hallway walk area.
2. Make Sure They Get Play Breaks
If I think Mommy's been working too long or too hard, I'll start by providing a little comedic relief in the form of some silly smiles and a forced belly rub. Then I might jump up and turn back looking at her as if to say, "Come with me, let's go find a toy to shake for a few!" If that doesn't work, I'll bring the toy to her and drop it right on her laptop. You just have to gauge the situation and adjust your tactics as the need arises.
3. Share Your Food With Them
4. Give A Surprise Foot Massage
5. Master a Trick or Command That's Been a Challenge
These are just a few ways that pets can show their parents that they are special and loved. Never forget the tried and true hugs, kisses, snuggles and wuzzles, but always try new and inventive ways to show them how much you love and adore them. Happy Valentine's Day!
Read about 10 fun things you can do for your pet to show YOUR love in last year's Valentine's blog post entitled "The Joy of Love - Pixel Top 10 Ways to Celebrate Valentine's Day with Your Pet".
Monday, February 8, 2016
And having said that, Mommy and I just want to say that we always have been and always will be Carolina Panthers fans, now and forever! You don't have to win a prize for us to be faithful to you.
City Dogs Rescue out of Washington DC, a rescue that Mommy has worked closely with. Great job out there Charlie!! Nice footwork and fantastic teamwork.
Here's a special story done by the Wall Street Journal done about Charlie and City Dogs Rescue. The rescue representative being interviewed, Amy Bandyk, is a friend of Mommy's, and loves the dogs very much!
|Jenny with Animal Control Officer Kristy (pet photo partner)|
Smyth County Animal Shelter Volunteers and
City Dogs Rescue Team
So, did YOU watch either the Puppy Bowl 2016 or Super Bowl 50? How about the Kitty Bowl? I didn't get to watch that one... Who did you root for? What are you thoughts on all of this? I'd love to hear them.
Sunday, February 7, 2016
Do not fret if you hadn't thought about it. Help is here. I have some wonderful and simple dog snack and beverage ideas you can do for your beloved canine companions that they will simply love.
Peanut Butter covered Rice Chex
This treat is super easy to fix.
1. Lay out individual pieces of Gluten Free Rice Chex pieces on a tray or large plate.
2. Using a butter knife, spread small amounts of peanut butter on each little piece of Rice Chex.
Voila! Instant super fun snack for your dog that is absolutely delicious!
Chicken and Rice Pate
Ingredients: 1 lb. Cooked Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cooled
1 c. Cooked White or Brown Rice cooled (slightly warm) NOT cold
3 Tbsp. Instant Baby Oatmeal Cereal (Optional) for extra smoothness
1.5 - 2 c. Filtered or Spring Water
1. Grind the chicken in a food processor until finely chopped
2. Add 1 cup rice (and the 3 Tbsp. of baby oatmeal if you have it) into food processor
3. Add 1 cup of water into food processor
4. Place lid on top and grind all ingredients together
5. As it is grinding, add the additional half to one extra cup of water until you have a nice chicken and rice paste/pate that you could put on a cracker.
You will know it's done when you can scoop up some in a spoon and your face when you taste it.
Now, with this chicken and rice pate, you can do anything you like! Scoop it with biscuits, use as dip with Rice Chex, or form it into cute shapes like footballs, bones, flowers or other shapes.
If you create shapes, you can then use baby food puree squeezies like icing and create all sorts of fun designs and patterns. See the photos below as an example of one fun idea we did using Banana, Beets, and Blueberry puree for the flower color and Green Bean puree as the flower stem! It was DELICIOUS!!!
Sweet Potato Wedges
Super Easy and OH SO GOOD!!
Ingredients: 2 - 4 Sweet Potatoes
1. Peel sweet potatoes
2. Cut potatoes into little bite-size pieces about 1 inch wide or larger (depending on dog size)
3. Place in microwaveable bowl and cover with either a paper plate, plastic wrap or a vented lid.
4. Microwave until fully cooked, checking every 3-4 minutes.
5. Once cooled, serve as doggie hors d'oeuvres or treats!
Chicken Broth Water
Low sodium , fat free Chicken Broth
Filtered or Spring Water
1. Mix half chicken broth and half water in one or more bowls, and share away!
Baby Squeezable Fruit Packets, such as Bananas, Beets & Blueberries by Happy Baby, Strawberry/Apple, or any flavor that sounds good
Filtered or Spring Water
Mix 1/3 fruit puree and 2/3 water in one or more bowls...it will appear lumpy at first, just mix with a spoon or finger until smooth
Share and enjoy!
NOTE: Normally, Mommy only lets me drink about 1/4 cup at a time of any kind of mixed/flavored water, because it's so good, I'll drink too much and get bloated. So keep that in mind for both the broth and fruity water with your dog.